Sudan security forces fire tear gas at Khartoum protesters | Protests News

A leading Sudanese protest group has rejected a UN initiative to hold talks with the military.

Security forces fired tear gas as thousands rallied in Sudan’s capital, Khartoum, and a nearby city, continuing to put pressure on the military in the wake of a coup 11 weeks ago.

The coup led by army chief General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan on October 25 brought out a power-sharing transition process between the military and civilians that had been painstakingly instituted following the ouster of President Omar al-Bashir in 2019.

Security forces fired tear gas as pro-democracy demonstrators headed towards the presidential palace, Sunday, amid roadblocks to prevent people from gathering there and at the army headquarters – the center of mass demonstrations that forced Bashir out.

Demonstrators also gathered in Omdurman, the twin city of Khartoum, as well as north of Khartoum.

Muhammed Fall, Al Jazeera correspondent, from Omdurman, said crowds had begun to gather despite the heavy security presence.

“Tear gas was used against thousands of protesters in central Khartoum. They were walking towards the presidential palace. They tried to reach the palace but they couldn’t, as usual,” Val said.

“In Omdurman, the crowd is picking up. They are behind schedule. They usually start early. They are also trying to walk towards the center of Khartoum. To get there, they will have to cross bridges closed and run by security forces.” He added that security forces are waiting for them in large numbers, he added. .

Medics said protests since the coup – one of several power grabs in Sudan’s post-independence history – have been met with a crackdown that has killed at least 60 people.

The authorities have repeatedly denied using live ammunition against protesters and insisted that dozens of security personnel were injured during the demonstrations, which often “deviated from the peace”.

Paramedics wearing white coats were seen joining Sunday’s rallies to protest against security forces’ storming of hospitals and medical facilities during previous demonstrations.

The Central Committee of Sudan Doctors, affiliated with the protest movement, said on Saturday that paramedics will hand over a note to United Nations officials, complaining of “assaults” on such facilities.

Last week, Sudanese Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok resigned, saying the country was at a “dangerous crossroads that threatens its very survival.”

He had only regained his position on November 21, having originally been ousted along with his government in the October coup.

On Saturday, the United Nations said it would facilitate talks between key Sudanese stakeholders in a bid to resolve the crisis.

But the Forces for Freedom and Change, the civilian coalition that led the protests against Bashir and became an integral part of the transitional government, said it had not received “any details” about the UN initiative.

On Sunday, the Sudanese Professionals Association – which has been instrumental in the anti-Bashir protests – said it “totally rejects” the UN-facilitated talks.

“The path to resolving the Sudanese crisis begins with the complete overthrow of the coup military council and handing over its members to face justice for the murders committed against the defenseless. [and] “The peaceful Sudanese people,” the association said in a statement.

Al-Burhan insisted that the army’s seizure of power in October “was not a coup” but was only aimed at “correcting the course of the Sudanese transition”.

The UN Security Council is scheduled to meet on Wednesday to discuss the latest developments in Sudan.


Leave a Comment