Britain’s Prince Andrew has reinstated all of his military affiliation and sponsorship a day after a US judge rejected his attempt to dismiss a sexual assault case against him.
Buckingham Palace said in a statement on Friday that the Duke of York had returned his military affiliations and royal patronage to the Queen “with the consent and consent of the Queen”.
“The Duke of York will continue not to perform any public duties and defend this cause as a private citizen,” the statement added.
Virginia Jeffrey, the third child of Queen Elizabeth, is accused of sexually assaulting her in 2001 when she was 17 and of smuggling him to the late financier Jeffrey Epstein.
Legal proceedings against him began in August 2020.
Prince Andrew has denied the charges and his lawyers have sought to dismiss her case, arguing that their client is protected under a 2009 $500,000 (442,600 euros) settlement that Jeffrey made with Epstein that prevented her from suing any other “potential defendant”.
But Manhattan District Judge Lewis Kaplan ruled on Wednesday that it was too early to decide whether Joffrey and Epstein intended to release people like Andrew in the 2009 settlement agreement and that it was also too early to consider the prince’s efforts to discredit Joffrey’s accusations, though he would be allowed to do so. So at trial.
An earlier attempt to dismiss the case was also dismissed on the grounds that Guiffre was not domiciled in the United States.
Prince Andrew – the King’s second son – has withdrew from the following royal duties A widely criticized radio interview in late 2019 Who said he doesn’t remember meeting Joffrey.
Epstein committed suicide in August 2019 while awaiting trial in the United States on sex trafficking charges that did not include Andrew.
His ex-girlfriend Ghislaine Maxwell, 60, was convicted last month in Manhattan of sex trafficking and conspiracy in relation to several women after a month-long trial. Giuffre was not one of the alleged victims in that case.