Alec Baldwin turns over cell phone in ‘Rust’ shooting investigation

A spokesperson for the Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Office confirmed to CNN that the actor gave his phone to law enforcement officials in Suffolk County, New York, who were helping New Mexico authorities obtain the device.

“They will collect information over the phone and provide the Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Office with the evidence that has been collected,” said Santa Fe County Police spokesman Juan Rios.

“The Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Office does not have physical possession of the data that will be retrieved from Baldwin’s phone,” Rios added, but noted that “this is in progress.”

Hutchins was fatally shot on October 21 during a rehearsal for a scene at a church at Bonanza Creek Ranch. Director Joel Sousa was also injured in the shooting.

Late last year, Baldwin told ABC’s George Stephanopoulos that the scene would have shown Baldwin aiming the gun and he and Hutchins checking how she wanted to put his hand before the gun went off, saying at the time, “I’ll never shoot anyone and pull the trigger.”

A search warrant for Aldwin’s mobile phone was issued last month, according to court documents from Santa Fe County, New Mexico.

The memo said officials are looking to obtain messages, call logs, digital photos and videos, as well as any private messages sent on social media platforms in connection with the production of “Rust”. Also looking forward to getting any videos, photos, and messages deleted on the phone that have to do with the movie.

In a video posted to his Instagram account earlier in January, Baldwin said he is cooperating with authorities, saying that the process of authorities requesting his phone to issue an arrest warrant takes time and they “should determine exactly what they want.”

The representative added that any suggestion that he was not in compliance with the search warrant was a “lie”. He added in the video that he is “working for, insisting on, and demanding” the truth of what happened.

.

Leave a Comment