$50,000 reward offered to help police trace Quebec fugitive wanted on multiple sex crimes

Warning: This story contains sensitive information that some readers may find disturbing.

Quebec police are looking for a man suspected of sexual exploitation and abuse of multiple victims, and a $50,000 reward is being offered to anyone who helps authorities locate him.

Blake Charbonneau, 35, of Laval, Kew, who police say is “extremely dangerous.” According to Sûreté du Québec (SQ), Charbonneau pimpsed his victims and committed sexual assaults at gunpoint.

Read more: Defenders say Montreal victim was a sex worker and suspected of being a violent agent

So far, the authorities have four victims in the case, but the inspector. Pierre Mathieu Vivier said earlier this week that police believe there is likely more.

SQ’s Anti-Sexual Exploitation Task Force enlisted the case into Canada’s BOLO programme, the highly-covered “wanted list” of media, social networks, digital displays and billboards (it will be located in Montreal, Laval, Terrebonne and Quebec City) to alert the public Until the police are looking for the suspect.

The story continues below the ad

“In addition to controlling his victims and forcing them into the sex trade, he violently and sexually assaulted many of the women he met on social media platforms,” ​​a statement issued by the organization on the issue read.

BOLO, which is funded by the Stéphane Crétier Foundation, offers a reward of $50,000 to anyone whose information helps police track down a fugitive.

“We are working to amplify wanted notices for police forces,” said Maxime Langlois, director of the BOLO programme.

“Simply put, we make sure that these notifications get to citizens in the right place at the right time using the right channels and delivering [people] The right incentive. Basically, it’s money. “We will be spending significant amounts of money over the next few weeks to highlight this issue,” Langlois said.

Read more: 30% of sex workers don’t call 911 because of fear of the police: Study

Police arrested Charbonneau on March 19, 2020, and was due to appear in court on May 31, but he did not appear.

Vivier said his arrest was initially related to crimes committed against one victim, and the police did not consider it necessary to keep him behind bars until his trial.

The story continues below the ad

“There was nothing at the time that would lead us to believe that Charbonneau would not face justice. Only then did the investigators notice the severity of the crimes and the number of victims (three others). At that time all-Canadian arrest warrants were issued.”

The suspect is wanted for sexual exploitation of his victims (pimping), life-threatening sexual assault, sexual assault with a weapon, sexual assault with the assistance of a third party, and more.

Arrest warrants have been issued nationwide for the 35-year-old. The fugitive is five feet seven inches tall, has brown hair, blue eyes, and has a small tattoo on his right shoulder. Police say he speaks French, English and Spanish.

Read more: Sex workers say Canada’s laws put them at risk — and the new government calls for reform

The $50,000 bounty is available until July 12, and the BOLO Program, working in conjunction with Sun Youth, ensures that all information is treated in the strictest confidence.

Police say anyone who helps Charbonneau evade arrest can be considered an accessory after the incident and faces charges.

BOLO is an acronym for the English expression “Be On the Look Out” and has been in operation since 2018. It has been used on 16 files so far, resulting in six arrests.

The story continues below the ad

Charbonneau’s case is the first time this program has been used in Quebec.

Anyone with any information on the suspect should contact Quebec Provincial Police at 1-800-659-4264, via email at cic@surete.qc.ca. or by calling 911.

.

Leave a Comment